The Regional Transport Office (RTO) is Government of India bureau that is responsible for the issue of driver’s licences and registration of vehicles in the country. The Road Transport Association sets the rules and regulations for licence issuance in Uttar Pradesh.
Types of Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
Individuals applying for permanent driving licence in Uttar Pradesh can opt for the vehicle type they wish to attain the permit for. The Regional Transport Office of Uttar Pradesh provides licences for the following vehicles:
- Light motor vehicles (passenger) that include cars, jeeps, delivery vans, autorickshaws and taxis
- Medium passenger vehicles such as larger commercial vehicles, tempos for passengers and minivans
- Heavy passenger motor vehicles include buses used for commercial transport
- Medium goods vehicles such as tempos and delivery trucks
Required Documents for DL in UP
In order to apply for permanent driving licence in Uttar Pradesh, the individual has to furnish the documents mentioned below:
- Original learner’s licence
- Application in Form No. 4
- Driving certificate in Form 5 (in case of transport vehicle licence), from an approved training school
- Three passport size photographs
- Proof of residence (utility bills, lease/rent agreement)
- Valid government ID proof (Voter’s ID, Pan card, Passport)
Apply for Driving Licence in UP
In order to get a driving licence, the applicant has to fill Form-4 and submit it, along with other requisite documents to the RTO Officer issuing licence. The documents will be verified after which a driving test is conducted. The RTO does not provide vehicles for the test, hence the applicant will have to bring his own vehicle or arrange it with the driving school, where he learnt driving. Niometric identification tests such as retina scan and fingerprints are taken, if the applicant clears the competency test. The licence is sent by post at the address mentioned, by the applicant, in the form. In some RTOs, the applicant can go to the specific zone and collect it in person.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh RTO has an official website where individuals can apply for a licence online. By visiting the e-services portal, the applicant can download Form 4, which is the application licence to drive. The appropriate details have to be entered correctly in the form. A few documents, serving as proof of identity and nationality of the applicant, as mentioned in the portal have to be uploaded. Once all the instructions have been followed, the form has to be submitted. A reference number will be generated, which has to be produced at the time of the competency test. Some RTOs may also ask for a printout of the filled registration form.
Check Driving Licence Status
An applicant can check the status of his driving licence in two ways – online or offline. The online status can be checked by visiting the official portal of the Uttar Pradesh Zonal Transport Office. The applicant can enter his name, reference number, date of application, and receipt number to see the exact status of the licence. Another way to check is to visit the RTO where the applicant has given his competence test.
Making Corrections in the Driving Licence
Filling the application form correctly is essential. However, in spite of the care taken, some mistakes may tend to occur, as the form moves to different departments. Misspelled names and wrong addresses are some common errors that may occur. In order to correct such mistakes the applicant has to collect and fill relevant applications, available at the RTO or online. The concerned official will verify the corrections and on approval, the new licence with corrected details will be issued. The licence can be collected on the same day from the office. A small fee will be charged, based on the corrections.
Driving Licence Renewal in Uttar Pradesh
Every driving licence, be it for private or commercial vehicle, has an expiry date, depending on the date of issue and licence holder’s age. The normal validity for a licence is 20 years from the issuance date. After the licence has expired, it has to be renewed within a month, in order to avoid penalty. An amount of Rs 250 is charged as renewal fee. Here is a list of documents required for renewing the expired driving licence.
Private Vehicle Licence:
- Form No. 9
- Original driving licence
- Three passport size photographs
- Age proof (any one of these – Aadhar Card, Birth Certificate, Passport, Voter’s ID)
- Form No. 1 i.e. self declaration of physical fitness
- Current residence proof (lease/rental agreement, passport, ration card, or utility bill)
Commercial Vehicle Licence:
- All of the documents similar to private vehicle licence.
- Medical certificate in Form No. 1A. This certificate is mandatory for commercial category and has to be issued by an MBBS doctor
- Driver refreshing training certificate in case of heavy motor vehicle
All applications and documents submitted for renewal should have correct details. The applicant should also ensure that there is no vague or unclear information, as it may delay or stall the verification process. Documents for licence renewal of commercial vehicle have to be validated by the issuing authority. Photocopies of the documents have to be attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public. License renewal for private vehicles is usually done the same day of receiving the application. On the other hand, renewed licence for commercial vehicles, is sent to the applicant’s address only after thorough substantiation.
Apply for Duplicate Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
Duplicate licences can also be applied at the zonal office. A valid reason has to be submitted to the issuing authority. If the licence is lost or stolen, it has to be reported to the concerned authority or at a police station. The complaint copy should be submitted at the RTO to get a duplicate copy of the driving licence.
In case of the licence is loss, the applicant can provide details such as licence number and date of issue if it can be retrieved from the records. If there are no details, then reapplication is the only way. In case the licence is expired, the applicant has to provide an authorization letter from the Headquarter of the Transport Department to the concerned RTO. An application fee of Rs 200 is charged by the RTO. The documents have to be photocopied and attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public. The documents required to apply for a duplicate licence have been listed below:
- Application Form along with copy of LLD
- FIR or NCR of the lost/stolen license
- Challan clearance report from Traffic Police (if it is a commercial driving license)
- Self-declaration form of Physical Fitness Form 1
- Residence proof
How to Get International Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
International driving licenses is issued in any of the RTOs in Uttar Pradesh. These licences have a validity of 12 months. The list of countries where this licence is valid will be available at the RTO. Permanent driving licence is mandatory when applying for an international permit. A fee of Rs 500 is charged by the RTO. The list of documents required are mentioned below:
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
FAQs About Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh
- What documents should I submit as age proof?
- You can submit any of the following documents as age proof for permanent driving permit:
- SSC/HSC Certificate
- School leaving certificate
- How many days of training is required for a non transport vehicle?An individual getting instructions from a motor driving school should undergo 21 days of training, before applying for a licence.
- What vehicles fall under the category “Non-transport vehicles”?A vehicle used by the registered owner, such as car or motorcycle (geared and non-geared), for non commercial purposes are non transport vehicles.
- Can a vehicle be driven without insurance?Driving a vehicle without insurance is a punishable offence under Section 147 of the Motor vehicles Act. The driver must ensure that the licence is valid and up to date.
- Can the fitness certificate be canceled by the RTO?The RTO is empowered to cancel a vehicle’s fitness certificate, if the vehicle is not roadworthy or mechanically unfit.
information credit : bankbazzar