No Objection Certificate

Are you planning to shift to another state or union territory with your vehicle? The transfer of a vehicle from one state to another requires legal documentation and paperwork. Every state and union territory has local RTOs who regulate guidelines and manage the transfer of vehicles. If you are going to another state/UT for less than 3 months, you are not required to apply for an address change and re-registration. When you are moving to another state or union territory for over a year, you are legally bound to obtain an NOC from your local RTO for the re-registration of the vehicle. There are many regulations and paperwork that need to be followed to complete the re-registration process.

What is a No Objection Certificate (NOC)?

A No Objection Certificate (NOC) is a legal document issued from the regional RTO for re-registration of a vehicle from one state to another. An NOC is an essential document that certifies that there are no dues of tax on the vehicle. If you are travelling to another state for less than three months and planning to take your vehicle with you, you are not required to obtain an NOC. As per the regulations, you are required to apply for a change of address and re-registration when you are going to another state for over a year. The application for change of address and re-registration needs an NOC from the local R.T.O where you got your vehicle registered.

How to apply for an NOC Certificate?

  • The owner of the vehicle will need to visit the local RTO in person to submit the application for the NOC.
  • The completed CMV 28 form needs to be submitted along with various important documents.
  • You are required to make a payment of Rs.100 for the NOC application.
  • Once the application has been submitted, the RTO will obtain a report of the vehicle from the Police authority to check if the vehicle is involved in any criminal case or stolen.
  • If there are no outstanding dues or DSA cases pending against the vehicle, a receipt of clearance is obtained and No Objection Certificate is issued.
  • The RTO will take three business days to issue the NOC Certificate.

Who should apply for an NOC?

The owner of the vehicle moving from one state or union territory to another with the vehicle.

Documents required for the application of NOC:

  • Registration certificate (RC)
  • Insurance certificate
  • Permit and fitness certificate (applicable for commercial vehicles)
  • Emission test certificate (pollution under control certificate – PUC)
  • Consent of Financier on CMV form 28 (if the vehicle is covered by Hypothecation, HPA or a lease agreement
  • Pencil print of the chassis number for the CMV 28 form
  • Photo identity and address proof

Validity of an NOC Certificate

An NOC is valid for a period of six months. Once the NOC is expired, you will not be able to produce the same for re-registering. You are expected to submit the NOC and the required documents to the local RTO of the state you are shifting to, within six months.

The NOC is not only required for moving a vehicle from one state to another but also when a vehicle is being sold to someone who intends to take it to another state or union territory. The interstate vehicle transfers can turn out to be a little complicated in India. There are many agencies and vehicle transportation firms who can help you out in knowing more about the procedures.

Road tax refund process

The regulations also allow you to apply for a refund for the initial road tax paid towards the registration of the vehicle. The deadline to apply for a refund varies in each state and it can be initiated as soon as you move to another state or union territory with the NOC. Only the original or the first owner of the vehicle is allowed to apply for a refund. You can refer to the guidelines of the local RTO to know for about the refund process.

information credit : bankbazzar

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: