A legal authorization issued by the Regional Transport Authority of the state government which grants you the license to drive a motor vehicle of a specific class on the basis of your application for it. DL as it’s popularly known, is in the form of a smart card (in most cases) which contains your personal information along with details pertaining to the validity and the class of vehicle you can drive and operate.
The Driving License is issued after the applicant successfully clears various road and written tests held to examine the ability of the applicant to handle and operate the motor vehicle. In the state of WB, the provision of issuing Driving License is entrusted with the Motor Vehicles Department under the aegis of the Transport Department, Government of West Bengal.
DL in West Bengal
In WB, the Vahan e-services program lets you easily avail a DL at the jurisdictional RTO (Regional Transport Office). The issued DL authorizes you to operate and drive a specific class or classes of motor vehicle in any part of India. The following eligibility criteria should be kept in mind before applying for a DL.
- Applicants between the age group of 16-18 years are allowed to drive a motor vehicle up to 50cc in the non-geared category.
- Applicants aged 18 years and above will be allowed to drive any motor vehicle in the non-transport class for personal use.
- People aged 20 years and above will be allowed to apply and obtain a license for all categories of vehicles which includes transport vehicle.
To be eligible for a DL, you will be required to obtain a Learners License first by taking up the written test if you fall into the relevant category. The test will be a combination of written and verbal portions, aimed to test your ability on road safety rules, regulations and general awareness of signs and signals.
After obtaining the LL, the holder can apply for a permanent license anytime after a month of holding the temporary license. The validity of this document is 6 months from the date of issue and cannot be renewed.
Documents Required in WB for DL
- The required applicant form in the standard format, available at the front desk of the RTO. It can also be downloaded from the official website of the transport department.
- Recent passport size photographs.
- Age proof documents such as birth certificate, school leaving certificate etc.
- ID proof documents such as voters id, aadhar card.
- Supporting documents as address proof such as utility bills.
- Medical fitness certificate issued by a certified doctor.
Fees & Charges for driving licence in WB
|Driving test (each class)||Rs.50|
|International Driving Permit||Rs.4050|
In addition to the above, there will be miscellaneous fees such as postal charges.
Procedure to Obtain Driving License
After the expiry of the cool off period of your Learner’s License, you can approach the Regional Transport Office for a driving license. Depending on the class applied for, you will be required to undergo test on the track to prove your ability to drive and handle the vehicle in question. After clearing the test, you will be notified on the spot about your performance. If you clear, the license (card) will be despatched as per the timelines. Otherwise, you will be notified about further process which includes the next test date.
DL Renewal Procedure of DL in West Bengal
If your existing DL is due to expire, it’s advised you apply for a renewal at least a month before it expires. Visit the jurisdictional RTO, fill the required form & pay the renewal fee at the counter (see the “Fees & Charges” table for further details). The renewed copy will be sent to you by post.
International Driving License in WB
If you’re holding a valid DL in the state of West Bengal, you can apply for an IDP (International driving permit) at the designated RTO by filling up the relevant form(s). You may also be required to provide a letter providing details of your travel such as names of visiting countries & duration of stay.
- What are the different types of driving licenses that are issued in West Bengal?The three different types of driving licenses that are issued in West Bengal are mentioned below:
- For transport vehicles
- For light motor vehicles
- For motorcycles that come without gear
- How long is a Learner’s License valid for?A Learner’s License is valid for six months.
- How long is a Driving License valid for?A Driving License is valid for 20 years.
- Is it mandatory to provide an online test before providing the driving license test?Yes, it is mandatory to provide an online test before you take the driving license test.
- How long is a commercial driving license valid for?A commercial driving license is valid for 3 years.
information credit : bankbazzar