How to Apply for Driving Licence in Mumbai
One of the important documents that we all carry with us at all times is a driving licence. Driving on Indian roads without a valid licence is an offence in our country. To drive a vehicle in India one should possess a valid driving licence. Though it is mandatory to have a DL, many fail to apply for one as the process of applying for a DL is time-consuming and tedious. However, that is not the case now. You can go online and apply for a driving licence yourself.
Eligibility for getting a driving Licence
Getting a driving licence in Mumbai is now easy and simple. The Maharashtra Transport Department has taken necessary steps to make the DL process easy. They have digitised and simplified the entire process to encourage Mumbaikars to apply for driving licence. In the city of Mumbai, a driving licence is issued to a person who meets the following eligibility criteria:
- The applicant has a Learner’s Licence. A Learner’s Licence (LL) should be submitted while applying for a DL. An LL is a licence issued to an applicant for a temporary period of time during which the applicant should learn how to drive a motor vehicle. With a valid LL, a person cannot apply for a DL in Mumbai.
- To apply for a two-wheeler ( with or without gears) an applicant should be 16 years of more. To apply for a four-wheeler, an applicant should be above 18 years of age.
- Any Indian citizen can apply for an LL or DL in Mumbai.
- If an applicant wants a DL for commercial purposes, he/she should be 20 years of age or above.
How to apply for a learner’s licence in Mumbai
Applying for a Learner’s Licence in India is a simple task. You do not have to apply through a driving school to expertise the process. You can just follow the below steps and apply for an LL online yourself.
- You will have to fill a Learner’s Licence application form and submit it in the nearest RTO to apply for an LL.
- You can download the form from the official Sarathi website.
- Once you download the form, fill all the required details accurately.
- Now, Visit the Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department official website and book an appointment to visit the RTO.
- On the appointment date, visit the concerned RTO with the duly-filed form and all the supporting documents.
- All your documents will be verified by an Officer in the RTO after which you will be asked to give a written test.
- The LL written test in Mumbai will have around 20 question regarding the rules and regulation of driving a motor vehicle.
- Once you have submitted your test, the results will be declared on the same day.
- If you have cleared the test, you can collect a copy of your LL on the same day.
- If you do not clear the test, you will have to apply again after some time.
- Please note that you cannot apply for a DL without having a valid LL.
How to apply for driving licence in Mumbai
- Visit the Maharashtra Transport official website.
- Download the “Application of Driving Licence” Form.
- Once you have downloaded the form, the next step is to fill the Form.
- Fill the required details. These include the applicant’s name, mobile number, email address, PAN number, type of motorcycle, permanent address, temporary address, birthplace, date of birth, educational qualification, identification marks, citizenship status, blood group, etc.
- Upload the medical certificate (Form 1A), learner’s Licence, the certificate from the driving school, and any other supporting documents required.
- Enter the captcha code and click on the “submit” button.
- Once the application is submitted, you will get an “application reference number” and you will be allowed an appointment to visit the RTO.
- On the appointment day, you will have to take the vehicle to the RTO. Note that the vehicle type has to be the same that was written at the time of filling the application.
- During the driving test, you will be required to drive in front of the RTO Official.
- The results are announced in a few hours. If you fail, you will have to take the DL test after a few days.
- If you clear the driving test, the DL will be posted to your address in a few days.
Application for a duplicate driving licence
Did you know that you can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Mumbai? Yes. If your DL is stolen, tampered, or misplaced, you can request for a duplicate driving licence to be issued to you. All you have to do is file a First Information Report (FIR) with the police and visit the RTO with a copy of the FIR and other supporting documents like duly-filled LLD form, the damaged card is available, identity proof, address proof, and the fees for issuing duplicate DL. After successful verification, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to you.
Documents required to apply for driving licence in Mumbai
The documents required to apply for a driving licence in Mumbai are:
- Duly-filled application form
- Two passport size photo
- A copy of the PAN card
- A copy of the medical fitness certificate
- A copy of the parent/guardian’s written consent with date and signature, if the applicant is a minor
- A copy of the address proof (Passport/Life insurance policy/Voter ID/Ration card)
- A copy of the birth certificate (School certificate/Birth certificate/Affidavit signed by the executive magistrate)
- Copy of a valid Learner’s Licence
- Challan stating DL fees paid
How to apply for renewal of permanent driving licence in Mumbai
A permanent driving licence is usually valid for 20 years or till the applicant reaches 50 years of age, whichever is earlier. An applicant should ideally apply for renewal 30 days before the expiry date of the DL.
The applicant can either visit the concerned RTO and apply for the renewal of DL or can do it online on the Maharashtra Transport website. You can download the application form for renewal of DL from the website, fill it accurately, and submit it in person in the concerned RTO. Upon verification of the documents, a renewed driving licence will be issued. Please note that a health clearance certificate from a certified medical practitioner stating that the candidate is fit to drive may be required while applying for renewal of licence.
Types of driving licence in Mumbai
The government of Maharashtra issues two types of driving Licences, which include:
- Learner’s Licence: Before applying for the permanent driving Licence in Mumbai, an applicant has to get a learner’s Licence first. This is a temporary Licence which has a validity of 6 months and is issued when the applicant is in the process of learning a motor vehicle.
- Permanent Licence: After 1 month of getting a learner’s Licence (i.e. from the date of issue), an applicant becomes eligible to apply for a permanent Licence.
Based on the type of the vehicle, Mumbai issues the following licences:
- Licence for two wheeler with gears vehicles
- Licence for two wheeler without gear vehicles
- Licence for four wheeler both geared and automatic
- Licence for commercial vehicles
- Licence for transport vehicles
RTO Licence fees charged in Mumbai
The RTO office Mumbai charges a fixed fee for the services they offer. Some of the RTO licence-related fees and are as follows:
|Learner’s Licence||Rs.151 plus Rs.50 for the test|
|Permanent Driving Licence||Rs.716|
|Renewal of Driving Licence||Rs.416|
|Issuing duplicate DL||Rs.216|
|International Driving Licence Permit||Rs.1,000|
|Authorization to Drive Public Service Vehicle||Rs.766|
|Duplicate Registration Certificate||50% of registration fee of particular class of vehicle|
|Duplicate Fitness Certificate||Rs.100|
|Alteration in Vehicle||Rs.50|
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Mumbai
While a driving licence issued in India is recognised by many countries, there are few countries that don’t. In these countries, you will require an International Driving Licence to operate a motorised vehicle. To apply for an International Driving Licence in Mumbai, you can visit the nearest RTO with the following documents:
- Duly-filled application form for international driving licence
- Valid Indian driving licence
- Challan proving you paid the concerned fee
- Medical clearance certificate
- Identity proof
- Proof of residence
- Two passport size photographs
Now that you know how easy it is to possess a driving licence, go ahead and apply for a valid DL in Mumbai today.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many days does it take for a learner’s licence to be issued in Mumbai?If the test has been cleared, the learner’s licence will be issued on the same day. However, if the test has not been cleared, a slot for another appointment can be booked for another day.
- How long after getting the learner’s licence in Mumbai can I take the driving test?You can take the driving test only one month after obtaining the learner’s licence.
- Is my driving licence in Mumbai valid in other states in the country?Yes, both a permanent driving licence in Mumbai and learner’s licence in Mumbai is valid in other states in India.
- If my driving license in Mumbai expired years ago, should I apply for a fresh new licence or renew the old driving licence?Renewal of driving licence in Mumbai can be done within 5 years of its expiry although you will have to pay a penalty for it (penalty is not charged if it is renewed within 30 days of expiry).
- How many hours of driving lessons should I take to get a driving licence in Mumbai?A driving school is supposed to provide at least 21 days of training (and 10 hours of instruction) for a driving licence for non-transport vehicles.
information credit : bankbazzar